WHAT TO EXPECT SERIES:
We receive a lot of what I think of as ‘foundational’ questions about our work—what we do and who we do it for, as well as the costs and process. Because of that, we’ve put together our ‘What to Expect Series’ to hopefully answer some of those very common questions. And help you better understand what working with the Bella Vie team will be like.
For this blog in the series, we’ll look at ‘What to expect from an interior design consultation’.
What to Expect From an Interior Design Consultation
You may never have engaged an interior designer before. And you may not know what to expect from an interior design consultation. That’s OK! We’re award-winning experts in our field and can walk you through the process every step of the way. We know the questions to ask and topics to cover to make your home as functional as possible for your household.
What is an Interior Design Consultation
When you decide to engage an interior designer for your renovation or new build, one of the first steps will be a deep-dive into your project. We do this through an interior design consultation.
An interior design consultation is the launching pad for every new project with Bella Vie Interiors. Our two-hour consultation will allow us to learn everything we need to know about you and your family. How you live and how you want to live. And your dreams for your home. In other words, it ensures we have a clear understanding of your project requirements.
Our goal is always to make your life easier and your space more beautiful. In order to achieve this, we need to make sure we understand all of your wants and needs – as well as the wants you didn’t even realise you had but will wonder how you ever lived without them. And this is what we get to the bottom of during our consultation.
This is the first step of every one of our design projects. But it’s also great as a one-off service too. The consultation gives you space to get some expert advice and find out how to make your home work better for you.
You might be a first-time renovator or a multi-residential developer. But no matter what your situation, our interior design consultation will help you discover how to elevate your home’s potential to ensure you live your best life inside it.
Virtual or Face-To-Face
If you’re wondering what to expect from an interior design consultation, the first step is to decide face-to-face or virtual? If you’re based in Brisbane, we generally recommend a face-to-face consultation. We just find this to be a more efficient process. However, we work with clients across Australia and can conduct a consultation live via Zoom and online software for any out-of-town projects.
Sometimes even our Brisbane clients prefer virtual meetings. They may be very time poor, or even be in isolation! Whatever the reason, we’re always happy to work to your preferences!
Before Your Consultation: The Discovery Call
Before your in-depth design consultation, we ask you to schedule a complimentary Discovery Call. This casual 15-minute chat will allow you to get an understanding of who we are and how we work, while we learn more about you and your project. It’s an easy way to make sure Bella Vie Interiors is the right fit for you. After you have booked your call, you’ll be redirected to a short questionnaire.
Your Interior Design Consultation – Details
We love the process of discovering the potential for your home – and we want you to enjoy the process too. If you don’t know what to expect from an interior design consultation, this is our first key step in working collaboratively with you. We’re very much guided by who you are and the lifestyle you want, and aim to translate your ideas into a beautifully designed, highly personalised space.
This is also the time you can let us know how much you’d like to be involved in the process. You may wish to be hands-on or you may prefer for us to handle everything for you.
What You Should Bring
- Building plans, if you have them
- Details of people already engaged in the project, such as an architect or builder
- Visual references of interior styles you love (optional) – browse through our past work for inspiration
- Photographs of any sentimental pieces of furniture or art that you’d love to see featured in your new home
- The scope of your project
- Your goals for your home
- The project timeline
- Your budget
- Key priorities
- Potential challenges
All About You:
- What you do and don’t love about your home currently
- Your dream interior style (and styles you don’t like)
- Lifestyles of anyone living in the home (e.g., do you need an above-average wardrobe for your sports fanatic child, a large kitchen bench for the kids who enjoy doing homework while you’re cooking dinner, or a designated office space for working from home)
- Special furniture or artwork to feature
- Any fixtures and finishes you particularly love
- Any custom soft furnishings or joinery required
- Any other ideas you have for your home
- Any questions you want to ask
- Your next steps
Depending on whether you’re running your own project or working with us, you will receive either a written design consultation summary with notes and suggestions, or a follow-up email with the fee proposal and scope of work.
If you decide to embark on your project with the Bella Vie team, the next steps will be:
- Site Survey
- Design & Document
We hope we’ve answered your questions of what to expect from an interior design consultation. And please get in touch if you’d like to chat more. We’d love to work with you!
What Else to Expect From the WHAT TO EXPECT Series?
- WHAT TO EXPECT: What to Expect from an Interior Designer?
- WHAT TO EXPECT: How Much Does an Interior Designer Cost?
- WHAT TO EXPECT: What is the process of working with an Interior Designer
- WHAT TO EXPECT: What are the benefits of hiring an Interior Designer?